Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Success!

Ugh, there is so much more I should be doing right now instead of posting this, but I am feeling incredibly mush-brained right now and want to do something fun and light before I dive back in to work.

After my epic, epic baking fail last week, I just had to post my pictures of success. Also, this is gonna be a long post, so grab yourself some coffee or something and settle in good. Don’t worry, I’ll wait.



OK, you’re ready now? Great!

This recipe is my mom’s, and is one of only a couple of recipes I know that is “my family’s”. I mean, I’m sure you could probably find something like this on the interwebs somewhere, but I only remember seeing this as a handwritten recipe of my mom’s. I know she didn’t come up with it (she is not a cook), but it’s just been in the family forever, you know? It is supremely special to me. And now I bequeath it on to you.

I’m a giver, what can I say??

Mom’s Poppy Seed Cake
2 c sugar
1 ½ c vegetable oil
3 c flour - sifted
1 can (15 oz.) evaporated milk
4 large eggs
1 package Poppy Seed
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a very large bowl, combine the sugar and eggs; beat well. Add oil and cream well, about 2 minutes. In a separate medium-sized bowl, sift together the dry ingredients. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the can of milk to the egg mixture until well combined. Gently fold in poppy seeds and walnuts. Pour into a greased bundt pan & bake 1 hr. For cupcakes, bake 25-30 minutes. For jumbo cupcakes, bake 35-40 minutes.


This recipe makes a LOT of cake mix. I filled a bread pan, 12 regular sized cupcakes, and 4 jumbo-sized cupcakes and had just enough left over to gorge myself with. Also, this is not a super moist cake so it tends to age well. I highly recommend it for Christmas baking because there’s such a great return on amount of cake vs. amount of time it takes to prep. This is a fairly straightforward recipe, as you can see above.

Since it’s Halloween, my daughter and I decided to dust on some fun shapes with powdered sugar.


You must add powdered sugar. It makes it so festive.

For the poppy seed, you can buy different sized jars of this. I like a lot in my cake and the Sprouts grocery store I shop at sells these in bulk so I probably put in about 5 tablespoons. You don’t need that much, but I just like it that way. I love those little crunchies.

I hope one of you makes this. If you do, would you please, please let me know? My mom would be so tickled at the thought of someone else making her cake, and I would love to see it too. It’s yummy and dense, just perfect with a strong cup of coffee and so much like the holidays. Enjoy!!

EDIT: Click here for a printable version of this recipe!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there! I love comments and will be more than happy to answer any questions here! I'll also respond to your comments, so be sure to check back or select the "Subscribe by email" link right below the comment box. xoxo!!!